JOIN-N
Jefferson County History - St. Martin's United Church of Christ

Click here to go to the JOIN-N home page.

JOIN-N Home Page

 

Jefferson County
C
alendar of Events 

 

Communities

Community Services

Education

Entertainment/Recreation

Genealogy

Government

Health & Wellness

Just for Kids

Libraries

Obituaries

Pet Adoption/Rescue


Business

Business Resources

JOIN-N Members

Employment and Careers

 

Media
Newspapers

Radio Stations

TV Stations

 
Contact Us

About JOIN-N

Search JOIN-N

Site Index

 

Disclaimer

ST. MARTIN'S UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST

Click here for larger image.
Click here for larger image
.

One of the oldest churches in the county, located in High Ridge, St. Martin's was founded in the year 1868. The log church and cemetery were dedicated in May, 1869 and given the name St. Martin's. It is believed by many that the church was named to honor Martin Hauser, the organizer of a group who chartered the church, while others say it was named for Martin Luther, since many of the early founders were of Lutheran background.

In 1888, the original log structure was covered with weatherboard siding, and a vestibule and bell tower were added. In 1910, the church was destroyed by lightning, and a new church had to be constructed. Dedication of the new church was held in August, 1911. By 1930, the church had become too small for the congregation, so the present brick structure was constructed.

from Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Missouri (Eschbach, Walter L.)


Contact JOIN-N | JeffersonCountyOnline.org