JOIN-N
Jefferson County History - Pevely

Click here to go to the JOIN-N home page.

JOIN-N Home Page

 

Jefferson County
C
alendar of Events 

 

Communities

Community Services

Education

Entertainment/Recreation

Genealogy

Government

Health & Wellness

Just for Kids

Libraries

Obituaries

Pet Adoption/Rescue


Business

Business Resources

JOIN-N Members

Employment and Careers

 

Media
Newspapers

Radio Stations

TV Stations

 
Contact Us

About JOIN-N

Search JOIN-N

Site Index

 

Disclaimer

JUDGE C. R. RANKIN HOME

Click here for larger image.
Click here for larger image
.

Four miles south of Barnhart, following the "El Camino Real", is the City of Pevely, once the site of Bartholomew Herrington's settlement. He resided in this locale in about 1799. It was first called Pevely Spring from an early inhabitant named Pevely. The town was laid out in September, 1860, by Judge Charles R. Rankin. Located on Elm Street is the home once owned by Judge Rankin. Built about 1870, the two-story house is a square frame structure with seven rooms. The original one-story gabled porch still stands, and the interior has the original walnut staircase. Judge Charles R. Rankin, who opened the first store, was the first postmaster. Pevely was at one time the greatest shipping point in the country for milk and butter.

from Historic Sites of Jefferson County, Missouri (Eschbach, Walter L.)


Contact JOIN-N | JeffersonCountyOnline.org